TIPS – Drought proofing your garden
With LA Nina easing over the next few months, and a drier, hotter, El Nino forecast for later in the year, homeowners could be looking at dealing with a drought affected garden.
With this change in weather pattern, now is the time to get clever about how you garden if you want your plants to thrive over the coming years.
Here are some tips to help keep your garden looking good.
- Pick plants designed to thrive in our climate such as drought tolerant native plants and mulch your garden.
- Use grey water or water from tanks to water your garden.
- Water well once or twice a week to promote root growth, and do so either early in the morning or late afternoon.
- Prioritize the plants/trees – your lawn can recover more easily than a dead plant/trees
- Keep trees trimmed well and away from gutters to help keep your home safer in the event of a fire or storm.
Maintaining a garden during drier seasons is always going to be challenging. With the right plants, and a few tips and tricks, you can keep things green around your home.